From savoury meals to sweet treats, the tasty and nutritious side of tofu is just perfect for every palette. If you are someone who’s looking for delicious tofu recipes to make, Gousto can help you achieve that. With all the required ingredients along with the tofu recipes available in their meal box, all you have to do is simply follow the directions and you’ll have yourself a tasteful treat waiting.
Understanding Everything About Tofu
Understanding the fundamentals of tofu recipes involves exploring tofu’s various types and textures. Tofu is also known as bean curd which is a soy-based product that is available in various types and textures.
Types of Tofu-
- Silken Tofu is a very smooth and delicate tofu that comes with a high water content. This type of tofu is best for making creamy dishes like smoothies, desserts, or sauces.
- Soft or Medium Tofu is slightly more firmer than silken tofu. It has a better shape, making it perfect for soups and stews.
- Firm or Extra-Firm Tofu comes with the least water content, making it firm. Because firm tofu keeps their shape during cooking, they are ideal for grilling, stir-frying, and baking.
- Smooth and Creamy: Silken tofu, when blended, creates a smooth and creamy texture, perfect for desserts, dressings, or as a dairy substitute in recipes.
- Soft and Tender: Soft or medium tofu has a tender texture, absorbing flavours well in soups, curries, and dishes where a delicate consistency is desired.
- Crispy and Chewy: Pressed and cooked firm or extra-firm tofu develops a crispy and chewy exterior, ideal for stir-fries, grilling, or adding texture to salads.
- Spicy Food: Tofu is a great source to provide the right protein content, making it suitable for making savoury dishes like stir-fries or casseroles.
- Desserts: Silken tofu can be readily used to make delicious desserts like puddings and smoothies.
- Grilled or Baked: Firm or extra-firm tofu types can be quickly grilled or baked to offer a crispy texture and a softer interior.
Handy Tips and Tricks for Preparing Tofu Recipes
Pressing for Firmness
To remove excess water and enhance firmness, tofu can be pressed using a tofu press or by wrapping it in a clean kitchen towel and placing a weight on top.
2. Marinating for Flavour
Tofu readily absorbs flavours, making it crucial to marinate it before cooking. This step enhances taste and ensures well-seasoned tofu recipes.
3. Freezing for Texture
Freezing tofu alters its texture, creating a more porous and chewy consistency, which can be desirable in certain recipes.
4. Cornstarch Coating for Crispiness
Coat tofu pieces with cornstarch before cooking to achieve a crispy texture when frying or baking.
5. Stir-Fry Techniques
When stir-frying tofu, cut it into smaller cubes for quicker and more even cooking. Add tofu towards the end of the stir-fry to maintain its crispiness.
6. Baking for a Healthy Option
Bake tofu in the oven for a healthier alternative to frying. This method produces a chewy texture and allows the tofu to absorb the flavours of accompanying ingredients.
7. Grilling for Smoky Flavour
Grill tofu for a smoky flavour. Use extra-firm tofu and brush with marinade to prevent sticking and enhance taste.
Tasty Tofu Recipes that You Should Surely Try
With all the ingredients available in the Gousto’s Tofu Recipes meal box, this one proves that the delectable taste of hoisin sauce isn’t exclusive to meat dishes. Tofu’s versatile nature makes it the perfect canvas for soaking up flavours, showcased here in a hoisin marinade paired with sesame pak choi and nutty brown rice.
In just 30 minutes, follow these simple Asian-inspired steps: cook rice, prepare tofu with a ginger-garlic marinade, pan-sear golden, bake in foil parcels, caramelize pak choi, and serve with rice. A delightful and easy-to-follow recipe for a satisfying meal!
2. Teriyaki Tofu Noodles
Elevate your meal with the enticing flavours of this Japanese-inspired dish. In just 30 minutes, you can whip up a savoury Teriyaki sauce using fresh ginger, sesame, lime, soy sauce, sugar, and a hint of chilli for a zingy Oriental twist. The easy-to-follow instructions guide you through creating a delicious Teriyaki glaze that perfectly complements the dish.
With tofu, beans, and sesame seeds adding texture, this recipe brings together a medley of flavours. Serve the noodles and beans alongside golden, pan-seared tofu generously coated in the delectable Teriyaki glaze. Enjoy a taste of Japan with this simple and flavourful Teriyaki Tofu Noodles recipe.
3. Black Bean Tofu
Discover the wholesome delight of Black Bean Tofu, a healthy take on Chinese cuisine inspired by Chef Remi’s favourite New York-style Chinese dish, Ma Po Tofu. With a soft and nourishing texture, the dish features tofu cubes enveloped in a silky black bean sauce infused with the flavours of garlic and ginger.
In just 30 minutes, you can prepare this nutritious Chinese meal. Follow the straightforward instructions for two, three, or four portions, including steps for rice preparation and crafting a flavorful tofu and black bean sauce. Complete your meal with a refreshing side of pickled mangetout and spring onions.
In conclusion, exploring tofu recipes adds a tasty and nutritious dimension to your meals. Bringing ingredient boxes from Gousto makes this culinary adventure even simpler, ensuring you all you need to know about delicious tofu creations such as tofu stir fry varieties and tofu dessert recipes delivered to your doorstep, making home cooking a breeze.
For more information, visit Hermagic.