If you’re a fan of bold and flavorful dishes, you’re sure to love this honey chilli chicken recipe. This popular Indo-Chinese honey chilli chicken recipe is a sweet and spicy treat that’s perfect for any occasion. The dish features tender chunks of chicken that have been coated in a crispy flour mixture, then sautéed in a spicy-sweet sauce made with tomato ketchup, soy sauce, and honey. The result is a mouth-watering dish that’s sure to impress your taste buds.
While the origins of honey chilli chicken are unclear, it’s a dish that has become increasingly popular in recent years. It’s easy to see why – the combination of crispy chicken and a sweet-and-spicy sauce in this honey chilli chicken recipe is a winning one, and the dish is easy to make at home with just a few simple ingredients. In this blog post, we’ll provide a step-by-step guide on how to make honey chilli chicken at home, along with some helpful tips and tricks to help you get the perfect results every time. So let’s get started!
Ready for a tasty adventure in honey chilli chicken preparation?
For the chicken:
- 500g boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 spring onions, chopped (for garnish)
Honey chilli chicken recipe:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken, cornflour, salt, black pepper, and red chilli powder. Mix well until the chicken pieces are evenly coated. Set aside.
- In a non-stick pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken pieces in a single layer, making sure they’re not overcrowded in the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes on one side or until they are golden brown and crispy. Flip the chicken pieces and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the other side is golden brown and crispy too. Remove the chicken pieces from the pan and set them aside on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- In the same pan, add the diced onion, diced green bell pepper, and finely chopped green chillies. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until they are softened.
- Add the tomato ketchup, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, and water to the pan. Stir well to combine all the ingredients and bring the sauce to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the sauce simmer for 2-3 minutes or until it has thickened slightly.
- Add the cooked chicken pieces to the pan and stir well to coat them in the sauce. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and coated in the sauce.
- Turn off the heat and let the honey chilli chicken rest for a minute or two before garnishing with chopped spring onions and serving hot.
Note: Be careful not to overcook the chicken in this honey chilli chicken recipe, as it can become dry and tough. The key is to cook the chicken until it’s just cooked through and still tender.
Tips and Tricks:
- If you want to make this honey chilli chicken recipe even spicier, you can increase the amount of red chilli flakes or add a few drops of hot sauce to the sauce mixture.
- You can also customise the vegetables in this honey chilli chicken recipe to suit your preferences. Try adding sliced carrots, broccoli, or mushrooms for a different flavour and texture.
- To make this honey chilli chicken recipe healthier, you can bake the chicken in the oven instead of frying it. Simply preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F and place the chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked and crispy.
- Leftovers of honey chilli chicken can be stored in an airtight
Honey chilli chicken is a delightful fusion of sweet and spicy flavours that will tantalise your taste buds. This easy-to-follow honey chilli chicken recipe allows you to make it in the comfort of your own home, and customise the spice level to your liking. Served as a main dish or an appetiser, honey chilli chicken is sure to impress your guests and leave them craving for more. So next time you’re in the mood for a delicious, flavour-packed meal, try making this honey chilli chicken recipe and enjoy the amazing taste of honey chilli chicken! visit: Hermagic.